Family Portraits - First C&C

clemensphoto'sclemensphoto's Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
edited December 19, 2008 in People
Alright I've commented on a lot of others work, now it's my turn.

439064648_5TYNB-M-1.jpg

439064677_AoX64-M-1.jpg

439064808_jmNSp-M-1.jpg

439068178_frtya-M.jpg

#5 - Sibling Love (yeah right)
439064742_tPTC6-M-1.jpg

Thank you for your C&C!
Ryan Clemens
www.clemensphotography.us
Canon 7D w/BG-E7 Vertical Grip, Canon 50D w/ BG-E2N Vertical Grip, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, Canon 18-55mm, Canon 580EX II Flash and other goodies.
Ignorance is no excuss, so lets DGrin!

Comments

• Mike JMike J Registered Users Posts: 1,029 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2008
    H!

It is often easier for people to view your pictures here in the thread rather than having to jump over and follow each of the links you provided. Since these are hosted on smugmug, you are almost there. You just need to add before each of the links and then after the link. You also need to make sure your smugmug gallery is set-up for external links. Here is a link that explains all of this: http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/1083138 Reading through these really helped me with my first post a couple of weeks ago.

Of these, I think I like #3 the best. I'm looking at these on my laptop but the lighting seems the softest in this one. Not sure I like the fireplace thingy in the background though. Could that be cloned out? What was the lighting for each of these?
    Mike J

Comments and constructive criticism always welcome.
    www.mikejulianaphotography.com
    Facebook
  • clemensphoto'sclemensphoto's Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2008
    Thanks for pointing out the IMG thing. I was trying for a fireplace background and when I started taking the photos I noticed that I didn't have enough room (between the fireplace and the kids) so it doesn't really work that well (background wise).
    Ryan Clemens
    Canon 7D w/BG-E7 Vertical Grip, Canon 50D w/ BG-E2N Vertical Grip, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, Canon 18-55mm, Canon 580EX II Flash and other goodies.
  • Mike JMike J Registered Users Posts: 1,029 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2008
    That makes it easier to look at all of these once!

I'm just learning about this stuff so I am definitely not an expert...

#4 One of the things I have read here is that a pose with the shoulders square to the camera is rarely flattering. I really notice this if I compare #4 to #2.

#3 I would crop a little tighter on the top to get rid of the brick as well as trying to clone out the fireplace vent.

#2 Same thing about the brick -cropping it out from the right side.

Someone with more experience with lighting will need to comment on the lighting and what you have going on there.
    Mike J

Comments and constructive criticism always welcome.
    www.mikejulianaphotography.com
    Facebook
  • clemensphoto'sclemensphoto's Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2008
    Mike - thanks for the comments
    Ryan Clemens
  • happysmileyladyhappysmileylady Registered Users Posts: 195 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2008
    On the first one, I like his expression and kinda like the background. I would suggest just having him sit up a little higher. Also, on the fireplace, there's a knob to the right of his head that is somewhat distracting

Second, love the expression, I really like having the fire in the fireplace in the background. Like the first, if she could sit up a little straighter, and perhaps straighten out the outfit. There are a lot of wrinkles in her shirt.

Third, cats are so hard when they don't want to participate:D There's that knob thingie again.

The fourth one, I agree with the previous poster, if you turn her a little bit, like you did with the first two, it would look a little nicer.

The fifth one I think is a cute candid shot.